Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Perspective: chip or bird?

There is a chip in one of the tiles in my bathroom. Many helpful and well-meaning people have suggested ways to fix it; fill it in, but I think I'll leave it.

You see, I kind of like it. If you look at it from the bathtub side of the room, it looks quite a bit like a bird. Some sort of hummingbird-duck hybrid.



I like those little surprises when you realize that you can find inspiration anywhere. I mean, what fun is it to see a chip in the floor as a chip in the floor?

3 comments:

  1. I love that you found a bird in the chipped tile.

    Quirky bathroom note: when I was a little kid and was in the bathroom for any period of time, I would look at the wallpaper, the tiles, or anything and find little "animal clouds" (eg. chipped tile birds) and make up stories about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have those stories too. My creatures grew out of the textured lines on the dark green, vinyl seat covers of the school bus. As I stared at the seat in front of me, I would try to find the same creatures I found the day before. Eventually I found the pattern repeated itself, creating multiple bullfrogs and other friends. I am not sure if this was caused more by childish creativity or boredom...one hour on the bus each day is a lot when you are 6. There are little profile portraits on our chipped, ancient porcelain sink at home. I'd love to devote more time to record these daydream inspirations. Thanks for sharing one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing about it and reading your comments has also lead me to the wise realization that imperfection is so much more interesting than perfection. Perfection is boring. No room for imagination.
    I love that you guys see creatures in things too! :)

    ReplyDelete