Monday, February 7, 2011

The one and only BeaverTail

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the legendary BeaverTail. I feel there must be one simple condition for consumption to take place: you must be on the canal. So, obviously, it's not often I get a chance to have one. Just those few weeks of the year when the stars align and temperatures drop for periods long enough, creating ice conditions favourable for the canal to open.

I know they're available in the Byward Market year-round, but that's cheating. There. I said it. I firmly believe that they should be exclusively a winter treat. Although I understand why adding facilities on dry land in highly-touristed areas has been a successful marketing move. But Saudi Arabia? Come on. The widespread availability of the delectable treat dilutes it's specialness. Just like how we fail to appreciate blueberries when we can buy them out of season, so to the BT is becoming commonplace. Everyday.

I'm also not keen on the commercial toppings (like Reese's pieces and Skor bits) available at the non-canal locations. I think it's a cheap grab for ratings. But a lot of people like it. And to each their own. But why mess with a good thing? The BeaverTail doesn't need decoration. It's fried dough! What more could it possibly need (other than perhaps some maple butter or a simple slice of lemon)? It's already pure perfection. I'm happy with the good ol' cinnamon sugar. I need not venture further.


Despite the accessibility at all other times of the year, the BT is still clearly the staple snack of canal-goers, and we waited in line for nearly 20 minutes for one of the sugar-laden deep-fried treats. (Also a good reason to only enjoy one once or twice a year!)
But it was worth it. If only to be hepped up on sugary fried batter to give us the energy for the skate back.

4 comments:

  1. "I'm happy with the good ol' cinnamon sugar. I need not venture further."
    Ditto!
    Though if I were a purist such as yourself I fear I would never have one of these delicious things...we ate one in Quebec city and in the byward market...I take what I can get though I don't doubt that the canal tails taste best ;)
    Nom Nom.
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, true true!
    If I didn't live in Ottawa I might not have to set these rules for myself. Otherwise I might find myself in the Market weekly... if not daily. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you aren't sick of them yet, cuz we be eatin' them again next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could NEVER tire of them. It's BeaverTail season! Gotta get 'em while the gettin' is good!

    ReplyDelete