Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Follow your North Star

I love kid's books... Though I don't have children, I am drawn to the illustrations, the stories, the messages. There are worlds within those pages. Imaginative worlds, where anything is possible.

I had barely started flipping through The North Star by Peter H. Reynolds, and was immediately absorbed by the simple story, and got entirely wrapped up in the larger meaning, which spoke to me on so many levels. I think it's great to have this kind of message in a kid-friendly format. It's good for kids to know they don't have to follow the well-worn path. Maybe kids know this more than adults... but somehow reading it in a kid's book has more impact.

I suppose it's nothing new, but doesn't it seem so easy to forget sometimes? Trapped as we get in the routine, caught in the flow. Maybe we're not aware that we're on autopilot, or maybe we are and it's the fear of uncertainty that keeps us on this path? But once you become aware of it, it's hard to ignore the enticing mystery of what you might find if you stray off the path...

Anyway, I liked it. I think you will, too.










3 comments:

  1. Just started following your blog. Love it. I also think this book looks great. You should take a look at "The Three Questions". A great children's book that more adults should read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His book "The Dot" is one of our favourites around here. We'll have to give this one a read too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I wish I'd had this as a kid, but it's not too late to read it now. :0)

    ReplyDelete