Friday, July 6, 2012

Chickadees

They're fully fledged now, and have been swarming the feeder, six at a time. The cats sit low on the window seat, in super-stealth mode, and twitch at them. I can't determine if it's torture or entertainment for them.

I'm not sure where they roosted this year, but a couple of years ago they lived in one of our birdhouses, and I remember being impressed by the non-stop nest-building stage. And then, later, the non-stop food-fetching stage. You could sometimes hear the cheeping when the food arrived to the voracious little beaks within.





2 comments:

  1. After two years on the market, my Scandinavian-inspired, open-concept birdhouse finally got tenants a few months back ... Phil and Gloria had 7 babies in the space ... 6 of them successfully flew away, the 7th, sadly, did not make it ... but it was awesome to have such great tenants gracing my slipshod efforts at carpentry ... your birdhouse is far nicer, and the tin roof must be more energy efficient ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! Wow, 7 babies! It took a couple years for this little house to get some takers. I missed the day the baby chickadees flew away, but I'm glad they did, because the squirrels were starting to get curious...

    And I'm sure your birdhouse is hardly slipshod!

    ReplyDelete