Saturday, May 26, 2012

Supermoon serendipity

If the road we wanted to take hadn't been washed out, we wouldn't have had to find a different route to get to Tannery Falls.



If we had decided that the 'unassumed road' on this alternate route wasn't worth the risk of bottoming out the car or possibly getting stuck in some ditch far away from help, we would have missed out on the most beautiful (double!) waterfalls I've ever seen. And some impressive tree-roots making the most efficient beeline to water!



Had we decided not to go to Tannery Falls because of all the crazy road impediments, we would have been on a different road at a different time and missed seeing this beautiful bear! (Just like the one we saw recently in Gatineau but didn't get a photo of.)



Had we not done all that waterfall adventuring (which took a lot longer than anticipated), we would have been at the Indian restaurant for lunch instead of dinner and we would have missed sitting beside the couple who we got to talking with, who told us about the free concert they were about to attend.

Had that couple not forgotten their leftovers, we may have decided not to be spontaneous and go find them and see about this free show.

And I would have missed the most incredible evening of African song and dance I have ever witnessed, all in honour of their beloved professor, Ernest Brown, who passed away quite recently. I would not have been moved to tears by the raw talent, passion and intensity of these talented young musicians, dancers, and singers. And I would not have been part of the procession of audience members and performers drumming and singing out into the streets where the celebration continued into the night, under the light of the supermoon.

Several times that evening I wondered happily, how did I get here?





I wish I had some photos or videos of that night's performance, but I've found some youtube videos that are similar to what I saw. This one of the Zambezi Marimba Band that Ernest founded and directed, and this one of Kusika. Definitely worth watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment