Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cricket Creek Farm

I've got a bunch of posts to share with you this week about my vacation last week in western Massachusetts! Western Massachusetts, you ask? Why'd you go there? Well, thanks to the extraordinary generosity of some awesome friends, we were given a week's stay in a timeshare hotel, in an area known as the Berkshires. And though this area hadn't previously been on my radar (overshadowed by more well-known places on the east-side of the state, namely Boston and Cape Cod), I'm so glad we were given this opportunity, and I would absolutely go back. The Berkshires are full of things to explore: picturesque towns and winding roads, art galleries and antique stores, organic farms and hiking trails...


In doing a bit of pre-trip research, Mark came across this awesome farm that was our first stop: Cricket Creek Farm. If I ever come back in another life, please let me be a barn cat on this farm. Situated in the Taconic hills, overlooking the highest peak in the Berkshires and all of Massachusetts: Mount Greylock. Surrounded by green, rolling pastures and beautiful forests, the farm raises dairy cows and sells raw milk, raw milk cheeses, bread, baked goods, local honey and beeswax products, maple syrup, preserves, jams, and even pottery! The farm store runs on the honour system: put what you owe in the box, and take change if you need it. Plus they host monthly potlucks to the members of their CSA. There is nothing I don't love about this place! Plus, when we were there, there were brand new, 5-day-old piglets! Piglets, baby cows, barn cats, chickens—I was in heaven!







Of all the cheeses they offer, we tried the Tobasi and Maggie's Round, and both were fantastic. We also got some raw milk, which I'd never had before (since it's illegal in Canada; don't get me started on that one), and ohmy, it's good! So good! So fresh and clean tasting. Just like regular milk, but better!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I love your animal shots! Do you have any more of the barns etc - the textures in that barn shot you posted are gorgeous.

    SV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Sarah just told me about your blog! Very nice! That farm sounds amazing; it's cool that you got to go there. Thanks for sharing. I wish we had pigs...
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete