Monday, July 18, 2011

Bluesfest

Withering Pines
Last Thursday, Mark and I went to Bluesfest to see The Tea Party (I know, right!) and Billy Talent. But before those headliners, we checked out a couple of performances in the Barney Danson Theatre inside the War Museum. We caught the last half of the Withering Pines set, and it was great! Folksy and lyrical; a really nice sound. Their last song was a fantastic acoustic number, complete with xylophone! When we were waiting outside in between shows, we were chatting with a family visiting from Egypt, and the dad said he really enjoyed it and that it felt like happiness and freedom. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Winter Gloves

Then, my favourite performance of the entire night: the awesome set by the Montreal band: Winter Gloves. Wow, oh wow. What an amazing sound. A wicked, pumped-up mix of electronic/synth/pop, with organs, guitars, and even some xylophone. So much fun. I haven't smiled so much at a concert before. I downloaded All Red and Heart Out as soon as I came home... Yup, I think I could easily become a groupie for this band. Seriously, check out their stuff on MySpace and YouTube. It's awesome!


The Tea Party - still as awesome as ever.
It was difficult having to choose between The Tea Party and Billy Talent, because I really wanted to see both. TTP because I loved them in highschool and university (they played at my frosh week at the U of Guelph in 1999!), so it really takes me back. I think Transmission was one of the first CDs I gave to Mark. And BT, because even though it feels like a guilty pleasure, I have to admit I love their songs; nothing gets you pumped more than BT. And they did not disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to download the Winter Gloves album! I'll do that today! I really liked it the first time I heard it.

    kate xo

    ReplyDelete