Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bermuda book

I finally finished my photobook about my trip to Bermuda in March! It is always my end goal to capture each trip in a book (or, er, series of books...), but this process is very time consuming as I whittle down the ridiculous number of photos I take, colour correct the final selection, then organize them into book form.

See the full preview below, or search "Amberlea" here, to see this and my other public books. I have made many (too many?) books with Blurb, and have always been pleased with their quality, but now they have a new selection of higher-end papers, so I'm eager to see how this one turns out.



For those who don't yet know, I really, really like making photobooks (I think this makes book No. 34?), and if you want to open Pandora's box, just ask, and I will happily tell you (and you will get a pained look on your face, because I will not pause to take a breath, causing you to feel embarrassed for me that I haven't picked up on your social cues—as you edge toward the door—that you weren't that interested and were just being polite) about the many options available for self-publishing and their merits and faults.

UPDATE:
I just received my book in the mail last night (a mere 8 days since ordering!) and I am beyond thrilled! I am so glad I opted for the Proline papers, because the quality is outstanding. Definitely worth the money. The matte paper is very unique; at first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but now I think I'm in love with it. No glare, and the images have great contrast, are crisp, bright, great saturation, the shadows aren't blocked up, and there's detail in the light areas. The pages are nice and thick (making the 160-page tome almost an inch thick! Yikes!) with no show-through. In short, it looks exactly how I wanted it to (and validates those many, many hours of colour-correcting I did!).

4 comments:

  1. I have been working on my first Blurb book. How do I put a map in there? Is it from blurb or do I have to get an image from somewhere else & put it in? Which style of blurb book do you like best?

    Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Pam! I designed this book in InDesign, then used uploaded a PDF (Blurb is one of the few that offers this), and the map is an illustration I did. I usually use their Booksmart software, but sometimes it's nice to have total control over the layout.

    So to put a map in place in Booksmart, you'll need to create/find/acquire a map (you could even take a screen capture from Google maps or something, it just won't be hi-res, and you will likely get a lo-res image warning), then just treat it like any of your images and drag it onto your layout.

    I really like Blurb's 12x12 image-wrap style; the square format is so nice!

    See you soon I hope!
    xo
    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so great!! Can't wait to get mine:)

    Katelin xo

    ReplyDelete