Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fab fabric finds

This past weekend I attended an event I am very ashamed to say I didn't even know existed. How it hasn't been on my radar is mind-boggling, because it is totally my kind of thing: The Original Fabric Flea Market. People from all over the Ottawa area bring their unwanted fabric and sewing related notions and sell it to raise funds for a local public school. We're talking new/used/vintage unused and upcycled fabric, textiles, buttons, lace, yarn... the works. One table even had millinery supplies. Another had gorgeous, fancy beaded appliqués. And one of my favourite local groups was there, Eco-Equitable, featuring their amazing fill-a-bag-for-$10 sale, but I didn't even make it that far, I had my head stuck in the fill-a-bag-for-$5 bins... 

It was busy and crowded and kind of intense, but I scored some beautiful and cozy flannels, wools, and cottons, and left with my bike basket and paniers loaded to the gills. As I was scouring the bins and tables, colour schemes started developing and have inspired ideas for a few new houses. I think I have enough fabric now to create several villages of wee fabric houses... Not a bad problem to have.

Now it's head-down-and-get-to-work in preparation for my show on December 14th!

Deliciously soft wools and flannels... so in love.

Now I see patterns and think "ooh, that would make neat wallpaper."

Laura Ashley swatch samples — I think that's a theme for a new house right there. Pretty, pretty, pretty.

Perhaps the roof for another cottage-style house?

Have no idea how I'll use this piece, but it was just too funky to leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment