Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The sweet smell of cedar

I don't think Mark can claim that he's not a carpenter anymore... After building toychests for the kiddles, built-in bookshelves, and now, a beautiful deck, he is, most definitely, a carpenter.

For this project, the weather never seemed to be on his side. Through the blindingly, scorchingly hot days of summer, and blustery, rainy days of fall, Mark worked tirelessly. I helped a little bit in the early days; with a two-person auger we dug the footings, six feet deep (thank you, Ottawa frost line). And near the end, Mark's dad came down for the weekend and they made some major progress on the decking. But otherwise, it was built entirely with his two hands. The planning, the sledge-hammering of the old step (I tried a bit, but was largely ineffectual), the electrical, and all the construction; everything.

I've already done a bit of yoga on the deck, and the sweet smell of cedar and fresh air was so blissful. I can see many warm autumn days spent out there, wrapped in blankets, with books to read and hot chocolate to sip. And maybe a nice, cold beer on those hot summer days. Or shovelling a path to the BBQ in the winter. Life on the deck, it will be good.



The construction paralleled the growth of the pumpkin.

In the foreground on the left you can see the offerings I left for the Construction Gods. Crackers and cheese.

I am in love with the warm glow of the cedar. Like honey.

If the frost hadn't killed off the pumpkin plant, I am certain it would have taken over the deck.

1 comment: