Saturday, September 10, 2011

Climbing the walls

Go, monkey, go!


I went rock-climbing this week for the first time. It's something I've been wanting to try for years, but somehow it just never happened. But our friend ST suggested it, so we went! And it was so much fun! As a first-timer, I stuck mostly to the green routes, only daring to move outside of that almost-comfort zone to try a slightly tougher route at the end of the night. 

My first run up I started out over-confident and made it up the first quarter no problem, then past the half with no worries, but then the hand-holds seemed to get a little smaller, and a little farther apart, and then I looked down, and then I started questioning the ropes (is this gauge thick enough?), and the pulleys (I've seen Cliffhanger, those things break like a pretzel!), and the holds themselves (how are these things attached?)... Ok! Let me down now! I'm good! But to repel down you need to let go. And though you know this, you remain, stuck to the wall, muscles quivering, not letting go. I've got you, it's ok, let go, he says. That was the scariest part, letting go of the wall.

I can see how this can be a mental sport. There were several times where I was thinking too much and psyching myself out. But rather than call it quits, I just stuck to the green routes and it got easier (mentally), though my sit-at-a-desk-all-day-mouse-clicking muscles were freaking out. My forearms have never been more sore.

I think Mark has a natural advantage with a greater arm span combined with greater upper body strength.

1 comment:

  1. I love rock climbing!! Add this to things we can do together...some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete