Monday, August 22, 2011

Marked For Priority Removal


I was hoping that the large red X spray-painted on the beautiful, large maple tree down the street meant "this tree has been selected to live out all the days of it's natural life to the fullest." Sadly, no.

When I saw the large red X, I felt immediate dread and sadness. I might have even gasped. I adore all the mature trees in my neighbourhood. They dwarf our little wartime houses and line the streets in such a cozy and welcoming way. They seem so strong and steadfast, I take for granted that they won't always be here. 

I'm not sure why, but I felt like if I didn't at least try and fight for this tree, that I would always regret it. Chaining myself to the tree seemed overly dramatic... so, Mark suggested I contact the Councillor of our Ward and see if she had any information. I emailed, and got a very speedy response saying they would contact Forestry Services and get back to me. They did, and confirmed my suspicions... The tree was destabilized in the windstorm on July 14, was inspected, found unsafe, and has been Marked For Priority Removal. Four words that sound excessively harsh and objective.

Obviously if the tree poses safety concerns, then I agree with the decision to remove it. I guess I was just hoping that it was spray-painted by mistake. 

I am trying to not think about the gaping hole that will be left in its place, and instead appreciate it while it's still here. I was uplifted when Mark told me about this story of an old oak tree in Old Ottawa South, also scheduled to be cut down for safety reasons, and of the residents coming together to honour it in some way.

UPDATE: The trucks rolled in this morning, and as I was leaving for work, the sounds of the chainsaws were drowned out only by the roaring of the wood chipper...

No comments:

Post a Comment