Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Celebrating Uncle Bill


On Saturday I gathered with my extended family to celebrate the long and full life of my Great Uncle Bill. However, though he was indeed very great, I always just called him Uncle Bill. This is a lovely write-up about him.

It was a happy/sad memorial with many fond recollections, and tributes in both words and songs. So many beautiful songs! It was so nice to hear such touching memories and realize with a smile that I share so many of them. Nearly every March Break when I was young was spent at their log house in Schutt, and we would walk in the forest with Maxi, the dog whom he adored, almost as much as my dear Auntie Gwynne. And later when I was older, he would share his latest poetry with me. He was a thoughtful poet, and though he could at times have a very practical exterior, he was truly gentle and sensitive, and his love of his family and life was very clear.


It was wonderful to see my cousins, some of whom I haven't seen in probably 20 years! After catching up with everyone, I truly felt that I'd had a nice visit with Uncle Bill, and that made me so glad to realize that we have all been influenced by his personality, and that he has truly made us who we are today.


On the way back home later that evening, Mark mused about the colour of the sunset. I couldn't have agreed more. It was the most perfect sky-blue-pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment