Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pow Wow


I recently attended an event called "From Pow Wow to Hip Hop: A Community Celebration of Aboriginal Culture" at the Odawa Native Centre. Attended though, doesn't quite capture it. Witnessed? Experienced? Was moved by? Renewed by? All of these and more. It was incredible.

The award-winning dancers are all from the First Nations dance company, Great Plains, and were accompanied by singers from Wild Horse. They danced together as a group, and then individually, in a variety of dance categories including Men’s and Ladies' Traditional, Men’s Fancy Feather Bustle, Ladies’ Jingle Dress, Ladies’ Fancy Shawl and Men’s Grass. 

I was immersed in a wondrous display of sound and movement. The rich music created by two voices and two drums was all-encompassing, powerful and moving. The intensely colourful ceremonial dresses were delicately intricate and dazzling, as the various fringes and trim pieces twirled and bounced, echoing the dancers movements. These movements, far from arbitrary, symbolically honour the earth. This feeling of intention, and honouring, was palpable in the air. It was so great to be there.

I was disappointed in myself that I didn't get up and join the group friendship dance that followed the performance. For whatever reason, I stayed in my seat, wanting to get up and be a part of this amazing scene, but instead remained in my seat, a mere spectator. I have made a promise to myself that if a similar situation ever arises, to just jump in with both feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment