Friday, December 24, 2010

Paper sculpted flock

 
These little birdies (all 25 of ‘em) were made from sculpted paper. I used my paper shredder, which makes a nice cross-cut, leaving me with small bits of paper, and mixed handfuls into a flour-water glue, and stirred (with chopsticks, and then with my hands) until it was the consistency of muffin batter. Taking a scoop, I would squish, mold, and smooth it in my hands until it had a loose bird shape. I was aiming for a vague form: mostly just a bulbous body with a slight beak and hint of a tail, knowing that the painted details would help later on. They dried for a day at room temperature, then I put them on the vent to heat through slowly and dry full. After painting them, they were sealed with a quick-drying acrylic varnish. I tried tung oil, but it was taking days to dry, and didn’t give me the high gloss finish I wanted. I like that they look a bit like pottery because of the high gloss finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment