Saturday, December 18, 2010

A feast of colour. Yummy, yummy colour.


In the same way and for the same reasons that I am not deterred by the time investment required to make croissants, I am lured to hand quilting. Working with your hands on a physical creation is one of the best ways of being present—what better way to practice my Hereness! I can probably also blame my cousin for hiring me to help sew quilts for her book. That is when the love of hand-quilting fully took root. I enjoyed (after my callous developed) many hours and weeks of patiently (and joyfully!) making teeny tiny whipstitches to piece together many of the small hexagons of her Village Quilt.

So, it was really just a matter of time before I succumbed to the desire to make my own. After a very wise suggestion (thanks cous’!) to work in larger hex’s (about 3”) to accomodate the larger prints I wanted to use (Amy Butler and Kaffe Fassett inspired colours and patterns), we went off in search of fabric. I had a great time choosing fabrics and was surprised how much I gravitated to vibrant colour (and also by how many times I used the word "yummy" to describe the bolts I kept pulling off the shelf...). I had initially thought I would do a muted colour scheme, but as you can see from the photo, I clearly failed! My quilt will be bright and vibrant yellows, golds, limes and chartreuses with a heavy dose of scarlet and orange.

Now, this is an undertaking which I fully expect to take months, possibly years. I don’t want to rush it or impose any hindering deadlines. I’m really looking forward to quiet moments of meditative stitching. Expect (irregular) updates on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment