Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Adorable children's drawings turned into adorable, custom fabric

When I was out west this summer I got together with a good friend who I used to work with at a studio in Toronto. She moved out west when she was pregnant, and I finally got to see my friend again, and meet her daughter, who's now six! It was so great to meet her, and experience her incredible personality. A little bit shy at first, by the end of the night she was chatting up a storm and showing me her art projects. It is so inspiring to see young people so unhindered, drawing because they enjoy it, not criticizing themselves, just enjoying the process of putting pencil/pen/marker/highlighter/paint/etc to paper/etc. And it's incredible to see their translation and resulting unique expression of what they see in the world or their imagination.

So, to honour this young artists incredible talent and joy of art-making, I took the drawing she gave me, and turned it into her very own fabric!



3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Did you use Spoonflower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I did use Spoonflower. I've also tried artofwhere.com, because they're in Montreal (so I don't have to pay duty and associated border fees!), but I really like the range of fabrics Spoonflower offers. And their quality is excellent.

      Delete
  2. Love it! What a cute drawing and resulting fabric pattern! Such a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete