Friday, June 24, 2011

Innertube waterpolo

A splashing good time (left). And (on the right) me in the process of being dunked. Plug your nose! Here comes the chlorine!

I signed up to play innertube waterpolo without much thought as to how little I actually knew of the sport. But my friend had asked if I wanted to play, and I just said yes without must hesitation. We showed up to our first game, jumped in the pool and said "ok, so how do we play this?" about two minutes before the game began. So with a quick crash course of the rules and meeting our fellow players, it was time to begin.

The first game was a bit of a shock. Primarily because I didn't realize that it was legal to flip someone off of their tube to gain possession of the ball, so needless to say, I spent much of that first game under water, and then struggling to get back on the tube (surprisingly very tough!). And when I was above water, I had many facefuls of chlorinated water. Good times. 

But! Once I knew all of these things, it was game ON. Though flipping an opponent's tube is not the easiest task. It requires a delicate balance of force—enough to cause them to lose their balance, without destabilizing yourself. I was not always successful, and most of the time was quite ineffective, neither flipping, nor preventing them from passing, but it sure was fun to try. 

We were pretty lax on the rules, which made it that much more fun. Our teammates were all laid back and super nice, and though some opponents seemed pretty serious about things, most people would smile at least, as they flipped you off your tube. How serious can you be about a game you play on an innertube? 

Now that I've got a season under my belt, I can honestly say that innertube waterpolo was the most fun sport I've played, probably ever. I have never laughed so much while playing a sport before! The Sprummer season was short, and unfortunately the Summer season conflicts with Ultimate Frisbee, but I will most definitely be signing up again in the Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment