Sunday, February 13, 2011

It begins


The pile of yummy yummy fabric sat, untouched (save for frequent peeking), for almost 2 months before I started the first step: tracing and cutting. I'm pretty sure I giggled with joy everytime I lifted the lid on the box of fabric to goggle at the radiant colours. Might have even dreamed about them.

I've had a couple of tracing/cutting sessions now, and the productivity of a cutting session, I've noticed, increases in direct proportion to the tempo of the music I'm listening to. So far the Supreme's Greatest Hits and Billy Talent has yielded the highest output. Great Lake Swimmers, on the other hand, produced only a modest quantity.

So far there is no wastage. However small, I'm keeping all of my scraps, to make into future craft projects. But in the meantime, I'm growing increasingly enamoured with the scrappy pile of colourful negative space. Think I might put the bits in a big Mason jar. Like an eye-candy jar.

I made a scale diagram on my computer and determined that for the size (Queen) and drop (about 6 inches), that I'm going to need to cut 559 full hex's and 69 half hex's. Phew! I've got my work cut out for me! But like I said before, I'm in no rush and I know this will take many months, if not years.

The tracing and cutting is relatively quick work. The next step, basting the hex's onto the paper backing, is going to take some time. I did one, just to test how much seam allowance I would need, and it was slow, fumbly work. Although I'm sure after a hundred I'll get in my groove and be quite adept. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment